Audiobooks are books that are recorded by actors and readers for you to listen to, and they are available free for download from the Boston Public Library. All you need is a compatible device (a computer, MP3 player, iPhone/iPod, or smartphone), software, and a BPL card or e-card.
Steps for Downloading Audiobooks:
If you need to learn how to set up the software on your device to listen to audiobooks, go to http://help.overdrive.com and select the device you are using. Then, follow the steps for installation. For audiobooks, you will choose “OverDrive Media Console.”
Once you have done this, you are ready to download audiobooks.
1. Go to http://overdrive.bpl.org
2. Now you can either search for an audiobook or explore what the library has.
3. To browse audiobooks, go to the left side of the screen and hover over Browse Audiobooks. Now you can look at audiobooks by different categories.
4. If you want to search, click advanced search
5. Search by title, creator, or keyword.
6. Under format, choose either MP3 audiobook or WMA Audiobook
7. Select the category you are looking for (fiction will give you all fiction books, or you can select by genre)
8. If you want to see what’s available for download now, click “available now” then hit search.
9. When you find an audiobook you want to download, click “add to cart.”
10. If you want to find other materials, click “continue browsing,” otherwise press “proceed to checkout.”
11. Enter your library card and pin number
12. Download the item to your device.
13. Open it, listen, and enjoy!